Tuesday, March 8, 2016

JIMMY SMITS - Through The Mail (TTM) Autograph

Jimmy Smits
Signed 8x10 Photo
Sent: 02/25/2016
Rec'd: 03/08/2016
(13 Day Return)

     A couple of things about this return and something that those who are new to autograph collecting can take away from this success. Consider this Autograph Learning 101. First, let me say how pleased I was to get a return from Jimmy Smits today and that he signed my Sons of Anarchy photo (one of my favorite shows by the way) and he also added some cool inscriptions. He added "Beware the Reaper" and "All good wishes" along with his character name "Nero" from the show. It's always a plus when they go out of their way and add some cool inscriptions to the photos. Jimmy is a great actor and has been in some of my favorite shows and movies. He was Senator Bail Organa in Star Wars Episode II & III. Also, he was in Dexter another great TV series if you haven't seen it yet.

     Now to the schooling I am about to put on. Jimmy is really great to his fans let me tell you. He will sign 1 item and 1 item only in the mail and I am cool with that. He doesn't have to sign at all. So for that I am grateful. What I think is just plain b.s. is when someone signs there name through either an inscription or your name or whatever. This is called "looping" in the autograph collecting world. You ask yourself why and what does it matter? Celebs sign like this because it will prevent you from selling the item on eBay. For one I despise being known as an eBayer. I am a collector of autographs and always have been way before eBay came around. Anyways, personalizations can be removed from a photo and I will teach that another time, so they 'loop' their signature through a personalization or inscription so it makes it damn near impossible to sell the autograph. I have a couple like this in my collection and it doesn't bother me, really it doesn't, but this one does for one reason and one reason only. I planned on framing all my SOA 8x10's (the black and white photos like this one) into 1 big frame. All my other SOA signed photos do not have my name on it and this one does and it just bothers me cause it will be out of place if I add it to the frame. Maybe it's my OCD, but it sucks and I will not be using this when I was looking forward to. No big deal, it's a great autograph from a great actor and I am happy it came back. It will just be put into my portfolio with my other graphs. I am off my soap box now.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the info on "looping". I had never seen it before, let alone heard of it.

    ReplyDelete